Sopapilla What, you're thinking?!?
I've made this twice now and each time I've made it, everyone has loved it and asked for the recipe. I was first introduced to this amazing yumminess while I was living in N.Africa. Sweet college gals that came to spend the summer with us made it one evening and I fell in love with it! It was so yummy but honestly, I didn't think that I would ever make it here because they spent like all afternoon making it there and I'm not all about recipes that take me ALL day! BUT... then I remembered that they had to make the crescent rolls from scratch and the cream cheese is not quite the same, and well, cooking and baking in N.Africa is just not the same.
And... I remembered how much I loved it too... like really loved it!
I finally decided to give it a try for our Cinco de Mayo party with friends because who doesn't love the Mexican dessert sopapilla and cheesecake and put together - well, you can't beat those two things, right?!?
Here's the simple recipe... so yummy, prepare yourself!
- 2 pkgs. crescent rolls ( I used the reduced fat Pillsbury kind, it makes me feel better!)
- 1 pkg. cream cheese, 8 oz. (I use the Neufchatel cheese, cause it makes me feel better too!)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Butter, melted to spread on top
- cinnamon and sugar for dusting the top
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 pan. Spread the first can of crescent rolls into the bottom of the 9x13 pan.
2. Beat the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla together until creamy and oh so yummy!
3. Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the crescent rolls- I dust the top of the cream cheese mixture with cinnamon because who doesn't love a little extra cinnamon?!?
4. Roll the second can of crescent rolls on top of the cream cheese mixture, make sure to seal the dough together.
5. Brush melted butter across the top and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or so until the dough puffs up and is light brown and yummy looking!! Let cool before serving - but serve warm, because it's yummier that way!!!
*Adapted from AllRecipes.com