For some odd reason, I woke up Wednesday morning with a desire to bake... Maybe it was the fact that it was Halloween and I had a sweet tooth?! I'm not sure why, but I gave into that desire and picked out a yummy recipe that I found on Pinterest - of course. These were super yummy and easy - and the best part - I got to give them all away to the sweet ladies that I work with! Ok, we may have kept a few...
Simple Sugar Cookie Bars
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg white - i used the powdered egg whites
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat oven to 350 and grease a 9X10 pan. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a medium. sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a stand-mixer combine softened butter, sugar and powder sugar until fluffy (about 4-5 minutes). Mix in vanilla, egg white, egg, and sour cream until combined. Then slowly pour in the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl until combined. The dough will be pretty thick at this point.
- Spread evenly into the greased dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. half and half
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. orange extract
- Orange food coloring - I had to mix yellow and red until I got an "orangeish" color.
Combine all of the ingredients in large bowl and beat with a mixer until fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
The recipe that I followed came from I Heart Nap Time. Her blog is pretty creative and filled with lots of recipes and craft ideas! I didn't have to change the recipe at all - These were pretty close to perfect - which makes me really happy!