I have to admit, sometimes I forget to get a menu together and after the crazy week that I've had (and it's just Tuesday), menu planning hasn't even been on my radar, sadly... We also had a "clean out the fridge week" last week, that was successful - and for some reason, because I didn't take time to plan a menu last week, I didn't take time this week either.... anyway, I digress...
Needless to say, when Dan asked me what was for dinner tonight (he usually cooks on Tuesdays because he works from home), I didn't have anything planned... I threw out the idea for fried rice because I knew we had rice in the pantry and random veggies and at least one egg in the fridge.
Well, if you know Dan at all - you know he can't be having just plain fried rice - he had to come up with something quite yummy and he didn't fail! It was yummy and easy and, did I mention yummy!?!
Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
1 tablespoon oil
1 or 2 shallots - diced
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 red chili (chopped)
1 red pepper (diced)
1 egg (lightly beaten)
3 tablespoons vegetable broth (we used turkey broth that we had in the freezer)
1 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup cashews (roasted)
3 cups cooked rice
1 cup pineapple chunks
1/4 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the shallot, garlic, chillies and red pepper and stir-fry until fragrant, about a minute.
3. Add the egg and stir-fry for a minute.
4. Add the stock, fish sauce, soy sauce, curry powder and sugar and stir-fry.
5. Add the cashews and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
6. Add the rice, break up any clumps and stir-fry for a few minutes.
7. Add the pineapple, peas and raisins and stir-fry to mix them in.
8. Remove from heat and serve garnished with cilantro.
This would be great with chicken or shrimp - but we preferred it to be meatless. It was still very filling! Dan adapted this recipe from the Closet Cooking Blog. He has other great recipes too - so you should totally check this blog out!